Hi, it’s me, the 30 year old Jonathan. Here’s a list of things I wish I’d known when I was 15.
- Stop trying to be cool. Being “cool” requires you to act “cool” so you end up acting like other people who are also acting “cool”… Eventually everyone is acting like someone else. Just be you.
- You have an extraordinary amount of free time, most of which you waste watching TV. This might be your single biggest regret. STOP IT. Do something else, write software, hitch-hike to joburg, whatever, just stop watching TV.
- Take risks, be unpredictable, do things spontaneously. You might get in trouble but it’ll be worth it.
- Don’t let yourself become a nerd, but also don’t worry about being a nerd. Nerds are cool.
- History is actually very cool. Don’t drop it. Accounting is lame.
- God, in any form, does not exist. Humans have always created gods to explain the things they could not understand. Creation, Solar Eclipses, “miracles” etc. Native Americans dancing around a fire asking god for rain is no different to Christians praying for healing etc. Read up on the Placebo Effect and then think about religion.
- Be a good person. You don’t need a book to tell you what is wrong and right. Don’t tease anyone for any reason.
- Don’t waste your time trying to get a girlfriend. Girls are awesome but you don’t need a girlfriend now.
- You’ll make some great friends over the years. Make an effort to be a good friend back.
- You can be anyone, achieve anything. Who you are is as much a journey of discovery as any other great adventure.
The end. Don’t stress kid. You’ll be fine.
ps. Invest all your money in Google and Apple, but only after they fire Steve Jobs the first time